Essential Oils 101
What is an essential oil?
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in plants. They are extracted from the leaves, flowers, tree bark, seeds, or rind of fruit and plants. They are highly concentrated, and so they have the natural healing properties of the plants. Typically one drop of a dōTERRA® essential oil has a powerful effect making them affordable at just pennies per use! For example, one drop of peppermint essential oil is equivalent to 28 cups of peppermint tea.
View a short video clip introducing essential oils HERE.
Doterra offers a full line of essential oils, spa products, haircare, skincare, cleaning supplies, and wellness products to support your family’s health goals no matter what they are.
They have raised the bar in the essential oils industry. There are no fillers or artificial ingredients. The plants are grown in their ideal environments all around the world and the oils go through over five levels of testing to ensure purity and potency. This means that when you see the Doterra label, you can be assured you will see the highest health benefits.
How do I use essential oils?
You will soon learn that there are hundreds of ways to use dōTERRA® essential oils, including relaxation, personal hygiene, household cleaning, cooking, and supporting a healthy body. Every oil has at least one of three application methods: Aromatic, Topical, or Internal.
For Aromatic Use ~ Breathe in or use a diffuser to open up airways, improve mood, or freshen the air.
For Topical Use ~ Use a carrier oil when applying to bottoms of feet or affected areas to target specific needs.
For Internal Use ~ Drop in water, under the tongue, or in a veggie capsule to support mouth, throat, digestive system, or overall health.
What are some basic safety tips?
1) Photosensitivity - No sunbathing after applying citrus essential oils. Citrus oils are sensitive to the sun since they are made from the rind of the fruit. Avoid direct sunlight to the exposed area for at least 12 hours of that location may have skin irritation or burn. Oils applied underneath clothing should be fine.
2) Hot Oils - If it starts to burn, skip the water. Use a carrier oil or whole fat milk. Because essential oils don't mix with water, applying water to the area can actually drive the burn in deeper. Ouch!
3) Avoid These Areas - Never put essential oils in your eyes, inside the ear canal, or up nose.
4) Dilution - Use a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil when applying essential oils topically to avoid skin sensitization.
5) Safe Storage - The majority of all adverse reactions to essential oils by children have been as a direct result of accidental overdose and ingestion in large amounts. Keep out of reach of children. Use childproof safety caps.
What are the most commonly used essential oils and their uses?
Click on each bottle below to enjoy more information
Bertha The Essential Doula LLC. © 2021
* All deposits are non-refundable. By processing a payment for a deposit or a full amount you are acknowledging that you understand and agree to this policy.